As a homeowner, one of the most menacing dangers to your property and family members is the chance of fire. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated in 2019 that American homeowners suffered about $1.6 billion in costs by means of unintentional or careless fires. The terrible truth is fires are unexpected and are often preventable -- with a little knowledge of where to act. And hopefully you are equipped with a monitored fire alarm that gets you help fast should you experience an outbreak.
What Causes House Fires In Kingsport?
Fires can happen anywhere without notice on the premises. However, you may reduce the risk of a house fire by taking safety measures around the following items:
- Stoves and Ovens: Cooking is far and away the leading cause of a house fire in Kingsport. Cooking-related blazes commonly begin when the kitchen is left unattended while making the meal. Water thrown on a grease fire will expand a flame that would otherwise die out.
- Candles: Nodding off in a room with a lit candle is dangerous, even if you’re using a high-sided candle holder. The flame can blow and catch a curtain ablaze if left near a window, and a dog or cat can bump into candles while exploring. The National Fire Protection Association estimates that greater than 7,600 properties were damaged because of candle-related incidents between 2014-2018.
- Electrical wires: Old electrical circuit interrupters, “tamper-resistant” electrical outlets, malfunctioning or poorly installed lighting, and split lamp cords is a big risk. Don't overload your outlets or plug anything in with exposed electrical components. And if you hear crackling or detect smoke from the outlet, power down the breaker off ahead of your investigation.
- Space Heaters: Look past coiled space heaters because debris, like dust, paper, or blankets can end up in and spark up. However, you need to make sure to monitor fan and ceramic space heaters whenever the device is in operation.
- Cigarettes: Just in 2014, U.S. fire departments fought blazes in more than 17,000 house fires started by cigars, pipes, or cigarettes. If you have tobacco products in the house, ensure they never take a nap with a cigarette or smoke in bed. And fully put out your cigarette prior to placing it into a garbage can.
A Monitored Smoke Detector Will Help When It Senses A Fire
If a fire should break out, you have to have a speedy detection system to notify your loved ones before it's too late. A traditional smoke alarm might be sufficient but is limited to alerting you if smoke is in thick clouds. A cutting-edge fire alarm -- a piece of equipment that's tied to your home security devices -- is able to sense both smoke and excess heat and can do more to ensure everyone is safe.
A monitored fire alarm has several methods by which it can alert you of rising heat. Your alarms can alert you with an incredibly loud tone and an alert to your cell phone. That’s when your always-on monitoring experts gets a hold of the fire department. And if you're ever somewhere in which you aren’t able to get you your house when a fire breaks out, you can have peace of mind that your monitoring agent will facilitate communication between you and emergency personnel.
Utilize Monitored Fire Alarms From Secure24 Alarm Systems
The possibility of house fires in Kingsport should never be written off, but you can rest assured if you install a monitored fire alarm in your home. Contact Secure24 Alarm Systems, and we’ll help you install all the fire sensors you need with a comprehensive home security system. Call (423) 241-8746 or fill out the form below to begin.